Thursday, September 20, 2012

Praise His Holy Name Day 11-12


I know I have skipped over about a weeks worth of info but I just had to share our joyous news because I'm busting at the seams!

Yesterday morning the chest x-ray showed Benjamin's right lung had re-inflated. They took him off of the oxygen assistance mask called cpap at 3:20pm yesterday. I got back to the hospital around 4 and got to have some skin to skin time for about 2 hours! He did well and didn't need any oxygen assistance. He also was given 12ml of breast milk in his feeding tube and he was showing signs of digesting it. All of these are steps in the right direction.

Cam and Poppa came up to say goodnight to Benjamin around 8pm and he was still off the mask!
I went to sleep praying and believing that he would still be off the mask when I came in this morning. 

As I woke up I did begin to feel doubt but prayed that the Lord would take that doubt away. My sister also messaged me the words to the hymn "In Christ Alone" for encouragement.
In Christ alone, my hope is found! He is my light, my strength, my song
This cornerstone this solid ground, firm through the fiercest drought and storm. What heights of love, what depths of peace, when fears are stilled, when strivings cease! My comforter my all in all--Here in the love of christ I stand!
I also read this verse in the Jesus Calling devotional book:
17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:17-18

So I walked in at 9am and saw my beautiful Benjamin mask free and just sucking away on a pacifier!!!! The doctors had ordered him occupational therapy to help him learn to suck and swallow. The OT came in earlier this morning to try to give him his first feeding by bottle. He sucked it right down with no problem and would have taken more. Really this is such a miracle! They had prepared me for lots of training ahead and that we would have to teach him to do this. But he did it all on his own!! And then he took the paci as well. Also such a good sign.

I can't describe the overwhelming joy and thanksgiving that I felt as I came in this morning and heard all of this news!

I took him in my arms and am still sitting here holding him! And blogging from my phone now that he is asleep ;)
But we just looked at each other like it was the first time we had met. His eyes so intently looking into mine and making funny faces and looking like he was just processing it all.

The doctors came by on rounds and were all so happy and joyous with me as well. They all commented on how he has made such huge strides and has surprised them all! Benjamin's resident doctor came by again and sat with me and shared my joy. She also said she can tell there is more at play here than just medicine in Benjamin's miraculous recovery. I told her that he has been greatly covered in prayer and she nodded her head. -- The Lord is working in the hearts here at the hospital through little Benjamin's life! Just like the verse said this morning-
"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

Next step: We will begin to work on breastfeeding this afternoon!

He has a follow up MRI scheduled for Friday evening. Please pray for good results and that nothing looks abnormal. And that it would not be a traumatic experience for little Benjamin.

Thank you for all your prayers, the Lord has heard them and has answered in a mighty way! We are overwhelmed with thanksgiving & joy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Catherine! This is such GREAT good news! We are rejoicing with you and Cam and all of your sweet family. Our God is so awesome!
    "The LORD will accomplish what concerns me; They lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting; do not forsake the works of Thy hands" Psalm 138:8
    Prayers continue for this next MRI

    ReplyDelete